Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art
The Sid Richardson Museum is a permanent exhibit of paintings by the premier Western artists, Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. The works, reflecting both the art and reality of the American West, are the legacy of the late oilman and philanthropist, Sid Williams Richardson, and were acquired by him from 1942 until his death in 1959. In 1947 Sid Richardson established a foundation for the purpose of supporting organizations that serve the people of Texas. Throughout the years, the board of directors and staff have sought to fulfill his vision by providing grants primarily in the areas of education, health, human services and the arts and humanities. The museum, which opened in 1982, is housed in a replica of an 1895 building, in historic Sundance Square, an area of restored turn of-the-century buildings in downtown Fort Worth. The Site was chosen by the Foundation trustees both for its convenience to downtown visitors and workers and for the historic atmosphere of the area. Attendance has grown to over 50,000 annually, with visitors coming from all 50 states and over 53 foreign countries. Following Sid Richardson’s philosophy of helping others, this free Museum offers educational programs, such as tours for adults and children, as well as on site visits to local schools and community groups.
Architect: Thomas Woodard & Associates
Size: 20,000 SF
Location: Fort Worth, Texas